The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Hey, I’m Shahzadi.
A mother, entrepreneur, and community activist devoted to helping you become the person you want to be. I aspire to be a giver; a giver of love, a giver of hope, a giver of good energy. Through my journey as a health professional, I’ve been inspired and touched by those I’ve worked with. I know, through these meaningful encounters, I’ve become a better person – someone who’s more grateful, more patient, and more empathetic. I cannot put into words the strong feeling of satisfaction I get from helping others.
I’m a Dietitian with a simple approach to healthy living. It’s about self-love, celebrating our cultural cuisine, and living a conscious life. I believe, eating well and caring for yourself is crucial to be successful in your mission, and stay on top of your game.
Welcome to my site; where I blog, cook desi cuisine (well, mostly), take pictures (my new found hobby) and share my passion for nutrition and wellness. With roots in Chitral, Pakistan, I grew up in England in a traditional family setting. My love of food and cooking pretty much started at a young age. Mum still shares stories of me as a 6-year-old, hauling from place to place my oversized bag of kitchen goodies. Throwing dinner parties for anyone I could drag into my game was my thing.
For as long as I can remember, I’ve always been ambitious, with an array of interests: psychology, international development, creativity, spirituality, fitness, and the list goes on. It has never been easy to choose just one and I’ve realized that I don’t have to. I’ve learnt that tapping into my wide-ranging interests has enabled me to connect with others more deeply and have a bigger impact.
Above everything, I choose faith and living a wholehearted life.
Curious to learn more?
Here are 10 fun facts about me:
- I am a living “Risotto,” 50% Desi, 30% English and 20% Canadian
- Right after high school, I earned extra cash by working as a “Tea Lady” in a nursing home
- I’m a HuffPost blogger and love to write
- I met my hubby (my hero) whilst climbing Helvellyn – The third highest mountain in England
- I go through virtuous spurts of attempting to live without chocolate, but every year when the kids’ grandmother arrives with a suitcase full, I’m done for!
- I get severe goosebumps when reading inspirational quotes and stories. I read them over and over again (hello, have you read the quotes from Rumi)
- My three cheeky monkeys know how to bring out the clown in me (oh, the fun and games never stop)
- I’m all about giving back and dedicate about 50% of my time to voluntary work
- I’m a yoga fanatic! As a desi on the hunt for bargains, this is all in one – me time, meditation and physical activity! LOL
- A day is not complete without a cup of masala chai!
Meet My Family – My Partners In Crime!
Here’s The Scoop On My Professional Life
I completed all my formal studies in England. I earned a bachelors degree in Nutrition from the University of Surry as well as a Masters in Public Health (Nutrition) from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. My love for learning led me to pursue a Masters level Diploma in Nutrition and Dietetics from London Metropolitan University, where I completed my internships at Imperial College hospital and St. George’s hospital, London.
I have over a decade of experience in nutrition education and coaching – working in diverse settings including government, community, corporate and not-for profit. Before going solo, my focus areas were patient care, health and wellness programming, quality improvement initiatives, community outreach and health promotion.
Being an entrepreneur and an avid blogger, I love to share my passion of healthy living through my writing and photography. In an age where we’re bombarded with conflicting nutrition messages, I’m determined to bring clarity and simplicity with a creative narrative.
My Career Highlights
I am involved in a variety of international projects. Some of my career highlights include:
– Expert nutritionist and diabetes educator for ReverseD: The first TV reality documentary series tackling diabetes, by celebrity chef, Charles Mattocks. To be aired on Discovery Life Channel in July 2017
– Nutrition and recipe features in key health and fitness magazines, including Today’s Dietitian, Shape, Reader’s Digest, Fitness and more
– Corporate wellness dietitian/speaker/coach for leading institutions, including P&G, PwC and Lifescan
– Chairperson: The Ismaili Nutrition Centre – a global initiative to support healthy living in the Ismaili Muslim community
– Co-developer/facilitator of ‘Journey of Awakening,’ a wellness retreat for women
– Named 2016 Dietitians of Canada award recipient for leadership (community activist work)
Visit my LinkedIn profile to learn more
Hear from others about my work