South Asian inspired masala tofu scramble – A twist to the classic scrambled eggs! Perfect for breakfast or brunch, this spicy tofu scramble recipe is high in protein. Super easy to make, bursting with flavour and done in 30 minutes. Vegan and gluten-free.
Breakfast has always been my favourite meal of the day – and not just because of food. When Deepak and I got married, breakfast on Sundays was more than just about eating (that part was pretty awesome, mind). It had become a tradition, as newly-weds, to mark this as serious couple-time. It was more a brunch really; that would last for several hours. We’d be engrossed in philosophical discussions over books we’d been reading. Collectively, with the number of books we owned, I think we could have opened our own library.
Waking up late, we’d enjoy a delicious brunch: eggs, paratha and masala chai. The eggs would either be sunny side up, omelette or scrambled. This recipe is a replica of my scrambled eggs, but uses tofu to replace the eggs.
With our family striving towards a predominantly plant-based diet, this tofu scramble recipe fits right in. The little one couldn’t even tell there were no eggs!
Reluctant to use tofu?
Well, you don’t need to be. People often perceive it as bland, unappetizing and mushy. I think of it as a blank canvas, hungry for creative expression. It’s all about flavour, and in this recipe, the squeeze of lemon was the climax; fusing the flavours splendidly. Tofu absorbs flavour very well – spices, sauce or marinades. I love the fact that you can eat it raw; making it a great addition to salads or smoothies.
If you’re strapped for time in the mornings and only have 15 minutes, press the tofu the night before so it’s drained and ready to use in the morning. I also chop and prep the ingredients the night before which makes it super-fast and super-easy.
Tofu is pretty great!
Tofu is regarded to be a complete protein and an excellent plant-based protein choice. It’s cholesterol-free sodium-free, and low in saturated fat. The soy protein in tofu may be beneficial for heart health, menopause and breast cancer.
Masala Tofu ScramblePrint This
- 260 g tofu, extra firm
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, large, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, large, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in small cubes
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 12 g coriander, fresh, chopped
- 1/4 lemon, fresh, juice
- Pat dry the tofu using kitchen towels. With the tofu on a plate, place a heavy pot on top of the tofu for 15 mins. This will help to drain the excess water from the tofu. In the meantime, prepare the other ingredients
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil
- Add garlic, onion and lightly brown
- Add red pepper. If you like the peppers crunchy, sauté for a few minutes. You can cook for a further few minutes, if you prefer them softer
- In the meantime, crumble the tofu with a fork and set aside
- Sprinkle the spices and salt over the red pepper mixture and stir well
- Stir in chillies
- Add the crumbled tofu to the pan and mix well
- Cook for another 5-7 minutes until tofu is slightly browned
- Garnish with coriander and lemon juice
- Best served whilst hot, with wholegrain toast, roti, or hash potatoes.
South Asian inspired masala tofu scramble - A twist to the classic scrambled eggs! Perfect for breakfast or brunch, this spicy tofu scramble recipe is high in protein. Super easy to make, bursting with flavour and done in 30 minutes. Vegan and gluten-free.
So, kuch kuch hota hai? If you try this recipe, would love to hear from you! Leave a comment, rate it, or share a photo and hashtag with #desiliciousrd on Instagram and twitter! Can’t wait to see your photos.
29 INCREDIBLE PLANT SOURCES OF PROTEIN
Looking to enjoy more plant-based sources of protein? Grab my FREE Cheat Sheet - legumes, nuts, seeds, grains and so much more... you'll be spoilt for choice!