Medically reviewed by Shahzadi Devje, Registered Dietitian (RD) & Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)
Looking for an easy fluffy pancakes recipe? Make our family’s favourite healthy pancakes from scratch. Made with wholewheat flour and less sugar – they’re desilicious! A never-fail weekend breakfast that’s ready for all the fruits in your fridge!
Oh yes, this is what pancake time looks like! Waking up to these light and fluffy pancakes make the kiddos go wild with excitement!
I’m not much of a pancake eater myself (I’d pick a savoury breakfast over sweet any day), but I am a self-proclaimed pancake-making expert. For as long as I can remember, I’ve been making pancakes almost weekly for my kids. Our three cheeky monkeys are firm believers that there’s no better way to wake up than with a stack of these fluffy pancakes topped with fruits. And let’s not forget the chocolate!
Typically when I fancy something sweet and low carb for breakfast, I make my gluten-free coconut pancakes. But when this fluffy pancake recipe is on the cards, I can’t help myself but dive into one. They’re quite simply irresistible!
We Love This Fluffy Pancake Recipe Because:
- It is easy and healthy, made with wholewheat flour (yes to more fibre!) and reduced in sugar.
- There’s zero refined sugar. This fluffy pancakes recipe is sweetened with banana and coconut sugar
- Has the most tasty golden crust, is moist and has a delightful rise
- It is nearly fool-proof. My 6-year-old makes this recipe with me, and it’s spot on every time!
- Without a doubt, it has the best taste and texture I’veI’ve ever tried in pancakes. No joke.
Let’s take a closer look at how to make this fluffy pancake recipe.
How To Make This Fluffy Pancake Recipe – Step By Step
- Start by mixing the dry ingredients (Image 1) and separating the egg white and yolk (Image 2)
- In your electric mixer, whisk the egg white until it’s a stiff consistency (Image 3) and transfer to a bowl
- In the same mixer, add the milk, vanilla, oil and egg yolk and mix well (Image 4)
- Now, combine the dry ingredients to the wet mixture (Image 5) and continue to whisk until well combined
- Finally, stir in mashed banana and egg white (Image 6) and gently fold into the batter using a spatula. Take your time as you want to ensure everything is mixed well. This is what makes these pancakes so fluffy and light
- Once your pancake batter is made, it’s time to cook them! Pour a half-cup batter into a medium heated pan (image 7), and cook on low heat (Image 8). Flip the pancake when they start to bubble and cook the remaining side until the pancake has risen slightly. This typically takes 3 to 4 minutes per side
We love to serve our pancakes immediately with our favourite fruit toppings and melted dark chocolate. If you do have leftover pancakes, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or the freezer for a month. When you want to enjoy them, simply reheat in the microwave.
Top Tips For Making Desi-licious Fluffy Pancakes
1. You want to avoid over-mixing the batter. Take care when you add your dry ingredients to the wet mix. The less you mix, the more tender and light the texture of the pancake will be.
2. Make sure to use overly ripe bananas. This will add sweetness and flavour. Plus, add to the soft texture.
3. Don’t skip whisking the egg white until stiff. Folding this gently into the batter makes ALL the difference.
4. You don’t need to oil your pan. Just make sure your pan is heated before you pour the batter. This is important in getting that beautiful golden exterior.
4. The pancakes should be eaten immediately. After a little while, they begin to lose their fluffiness and do get soggy.
You can check out the detailed recipe below.
On The Hunt For Breakfast Inspiration? Here Are More Desi~licious Easy And Healthy Recipes You May Like:
- Chia Peach Green Smoothie
- Egg Bhurji (Indian Scrambled Eggs)
- Vegan Tofu Scramble
- Banana-Date Oatmeal Cookies
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to my newsletter for free recipes, nutrition tips and all the latest updates.
Desi-licious Fluffy Pancakes Recipe| Easy And Healthy
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or sweetener of choice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk cow's milk
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk and white separated
- 1 banana ripe, mashed
- In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients and set aside
- In an electric mixer, whisk the egg white, until it's a stiff consistency. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the mixer add milk, vanilla, oil and egg yolk and whisk on medium speed.
- Combine the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Add mashed banana and egg white to the mixture and using a spatula, fold in gently. Take your time as you want to ensure everything is mixed well. This is what makes these pancakes so fluffy.
Please note the nutritional analysis values are estimates and suggestions. This nutrition facts table does not know your life - your body, including your hunger and satiety cues, change daily. It's okay to eat more or less. Say no to food guilt and instead embrace mindful eating.
Shahzadi is an award-winning registered dietitian (RD) regulated by the College of Dietitians of Ontario and certified diabetes educator (CDE), approved by the Canadian Diabetes Educator Certification Board. A YouTuber and notorious foodie, she’s dedicated to helping you end your cooking wars, transform your health, and be the best version of yourself! Shahzadi is an on-air nutrition expert for CTV Your Morning and a regular contributor for Global News and other national media outlets.