Medically reviewed by Shahzadi Devje, Registered Dietitian (RD) & Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)
I am not feeling green with envy, rather green with LOVE! This pistachio-coconut milk is creamy, smooth and floral. It’s perfect served hot (with extra sprinkles of chopped pistachios for garnish). You’re welcome.
The secret ingredient is the saffron. It infuses beautifully with pistachios and coconut, making this any nut lover’s dream…that royal pinch was totally worth it! I’m telling you, hot chocolate has some serious competition!
This took me back to my childhood. Amma would make sure all her grandkids (and that was about 10 of us) either have this or turmeric milk daily (that recipe to come soon, folks!). Amma was adamant it was such concoctions that would make us strong and healthy. I have never made this recipe, until today. Yeah, the family were surprised too! Well, better late than never!!
So my first batch of pistachio-coconut milk came as a request from a fellow dietitian who’s prepping for a project. I had murky memories of how Amma would make it, and so grabbed the phone to call Babul in England. Mum was all too pleased to recollect memories of Amma in the kitchen. Recipe discussions between us never stop 🙂
I’ve tweaked the original recipe and my version uses dates to sweeten the milk. I’ve been struggling to tolerate milk lately and there was no way I was going to miss out on this glass of green goodness!
It has been yet another eventful weekend! I had meetings most of the day on Saturday, course material to get through, and prepped to take kids to meet Bollywood stars Salim-Sulaiman. They are a duo who compose, direct, and sing Indian songs for Bollywood movies. Salim is also one of the judges for The Indian Idol. Kids were slightly excited, to say the least!
The drive down was pretty long and so we spent time listening to some classics by these guys. Here is one of my favourite compositions by Salim. The vocals are pretty stellar and the music is very much Sufi (mystic) influenced. The meaning really resonates to the point that I find myself getting emotional. Box of tissues is close by. Anyways, listen to these guys totally sing their socks off!
So knowing it was a busy weekend, I’m so glad this pistachio-coconut milk recipe was my target for the weekend. If using the stove, this is done in under 15 mins. If using a Vitamix blender, then even faster. Took me 5 mins, sshhh I had the little guy help. He loves blending 🙂
Here are some facts about pistachio’s that may surprise you!
- They have interesting names around the world. Known as the ‘happy nut’ in China and the ‘smiling pistachio’ in the middle East
- Known to be a snack from the prehistoric times
- Among the few oldest flowering nut trees
- One of the two nuts that get a mention in the bible
- Loved by the Queen of Sheba. So much so that she requested to have the entire harvest JUST for her…now there’s a royal nut for you!
So, kuch kuch hota hai? If you try this recipe, would love to hear from you! Leave a comment, rate it, or share a photo and hashtag with #desiliciousrd on Instagram and twitter! Can’t wait to see your photos.
Pistachio Coconut Milk With A Royal Pinch
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2-3 dired dates depending on the level of sweetness required
- 1 tsp green cardamom powder
- 3 tbsp pistachios
- 10 strands saffron
- Grind the nuts and saffron into a fine powder
- In a saucepan, add 2.5 cups coconut milk, cardamon powder and dates and bring to boil
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer gently
- Mix the nut powder with the remaining 1/2 cup milk and dissolve well
- Add the nut-milk mixture to the saucepan and stir well
- Transfer to a blender and blend until well mixed
- Garnish with chopped pistachios
Please note the nutritional analysis numbers are estimates and suggestions. The nutrition facts table does not know your life; your body - including you hunger and satiety cues - change daily. It’s okay to eat more or less. Let's say no to food guilt and embrace mindfulness.