If you're looking for a delicious healthy feast that rivals restaurant quality, look no further than this tandoori chicken tikka. Made with lean chicken breast, yogurt, spices, and grilled to perfection, these chicken skewers are succulent and bursting with flavour. Plus, with its high-protein content, this Indian recipe is a nourishing choice for those managing diabetes.
- ½ cup Greek yogurt, zero fat
- 1 lemon, fresh, juice only
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 4 cloves garlic, fresh, large, finely chopped
- 2 inch ginger, fresh, finely chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp kashmiri red chilli, powder, extra hot
- 1 tsp mango powder, "amchur"
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp aniseed powder
- 2 tsp salt, sea salt
- 900 g chicken breast, 4 extra large breasts, skinless, cut into 24 pieces
Create a tandoori chicken tikka marinade by combining Greek yogurt, oil, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, salt and all the spices. Use a large sized container that has a secure lid to hold the chicken.
Cut the boneless chicken breast in half vertically, then slice horizontally twice. Each breast should yield 6 large pieces - a total of 24 pieces.
Toss the chicken pieces into the marinade, ensuring they are evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for two days.
Soak six thick wooden skewers in water for at least one hour to avoid burning when you grill the chicken tikka.
Thread each piece of chicken onto a skewer, piercing it through the middle to ensure even cooking.
Preheat your oven to the broil setting, and carefully place the chicken breast skewers in an oven-proof tray. Be sure that you leave ample room between each skewer.
Place the tray in the oven and position it on the shelf above the middle. Grill your skewers for 10 minutes, flip them and cook the other side for an additional 10 minutes or until cooked through. As you turn the skewers, make sure to rotate each piece so all sides are cooked through with some char. Total grilling time is between 20-25 minutes.
Cooking method tips
- All the ingredients in the marinade need time to work their magic and tenderize the chicken and give it heaps of flavour! Ideally, marinade for two days. Don't skip this step - it's worth the wait!
- Place the chicken breast skewers in a large oven-proof tray. To ensure even cooking, leave enough space between the skewers when grilling.
Food safe storage
- Once your spicy tandoori chicken tikka is ready, let it cool, store it in an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to three days. For an epic tikka experience, savour it right out of the oven while still warm, juicy and spicy! Because reheating leftovers can result in dry chicken breast.
Calories: 238kcal (12%)Carbohydrates: 5g (2%)Protein: 34g (68%)Fat: 9g (14%)Saturated Fat: 2g (10%)Polyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0.02gCholesterol: 96mg (32%)Sodium: 958mg (40%)Potassium: 641mg (18%)Fiber: 1g (4%)Sugar: 1g (1%)Vitamin A: 378IU (8%)Vitamin C: 12mg (15%)Calcium: 45mg (5%)Iron: 1mg (6%)
Keep in mind that the nutritional values provided are approximations and suggestions, and might fluctuate depending on ingredient variations, portion sizes, and recipe adjustments. This nutrition facts table cannot account for your individual needs. Your body — including your hunger and satiety cues — change daily. It's perfectly fine to eat more or less on different days. Instead of letting food guilt take over, consider mindful eating.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.