Easy Handvo Recipe
Moist, veggie-packed and easy to pull off. Learn how to make handvo at home. My version of this traditional Gujarati savoury cake is made with a blend of semolina and chickpea flour and loaded with cabbage, peas, onions and cilantro. An all-time favourite, it's one healthy Indian recipe that we devour — and make on-repeat!
Cuisine ethnic recipe, Indian, South Asian
Servings: 10 people
Tempering of seed and curry leaves
Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C or gas mark 4)
In a large mixing bowl, add semolina, chickpea flour, yogurt, cabbage, peas, onion, scallions, coriander leaves, chillies, salt, garlic, turmeric, and lemon juice and mix well
Heat the oil in a small pan and fry the curry leaves, mustard and seasme seeds until golden.
Pour the oil and add it to the semolina-vegetables batter, along with half of the tempered curry leaves and seeds. Mix well. Save the remaining leaves and seeds for the topping
Add the baking soda and ENO (fruit salt) to the batter. Mix to combine
Pour batter into a cake pan, using a flat spatula to spread evenly
Top with the remaining curry leaves and seeds on send to bake for 50-60 minutes
Bake in the oven for 50-60 mins at 350 F (180 C or gas mark 4). Always check with a fork and make sure it comes out clean — indicating your handvo is cooked through
Let it cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from the pan and serving
- The batter – The best part about handvo is that perfect golden crust accompanied by a moist interior. That's why I use the specific ratio of semolina to chickpea flour. Like with any baking project, exact measurements are vital to assuring success.
- The vegetables – Dice the onions and scallions into very small chunks. If they're too tiny, you'll lose the texture. If too large, they'll be crunchy, and you'll end up with big chunks in your mouth. The same goes with the cabbage; slice thinly.
- The cilantro: Choose as fresh as possible. This makes all the difference and exudes heaps of flavour.
- Tempering leaves and seeds in oil – Make sure the oil is nice and hot before adding the whole spices. Keep an eye not to burn these; otherwise the recipe will end up tasting bitter. You want them to be golden.
- Mixing the ingredients: Ensure all the ingredients are nicely mixted before baking in the oven.
- The cake pan: Use a high-quality non-stick pan and always line with parchment paper. I use the oil residue from the pan to oil the sides of my cake pan.
- Baking time: This will vary depending on your oven and can be from 50-60 minutes. Always check with a fork and make sure it comes out clean to indicate that your handvo is cooked.
- Cool it down: Although it's tempting to dive in and enjoy your creation, let it cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from the pan and serving.
Easy Handvo Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2g10%
Vitamin A 311IU6%
Vitamin C 18mg22%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Please note the nutritional analysis values are estimates and suggestions. This nutrition facts table does not know your life - your body, including your hunger and satiety cues, change daily. It's okay to eat more or less. Say no to food guilt and instead embrace mindful eating.