Indulge in the warmth and richness of a bowlful of goodness with this Sweet Potato Carrot Ginger Soup. Bursting with flavours and packed with nourishment, this velvety soup is a delightful blend of sweet potatoes, carrots, and the zing of ginger, all complemented by the creaminess of coconut milk and the aromatic addition of curry powder. This recipe is a great option for those seeking dairy-free, gluten-free soups.
Embedded in the rich tapestry of South Asian flavours, this wholesome carrot ginger soup transcends mere taste—it’s a tribute to my culinary heritage. Spice blends like curry powder have woven through my cooking life, starting from the kitchens of my childhood and continuing through my journey as a dietitian, infusing depth and health benefits into every dish.
I frequently get requests for meatless meals, especially for vegan lunch ideas. Let me steer your attention toward these delectable options: the vibrant and tasty Roasted Pumpkin Arugula Salad, the Indian-spiced Butternut Squash Chickpea Vegetable Curry to add a punch to your afternoon, and for a refreshing cold lunch, consider the top-notch choice of the Moroccan-Inspired Oven Roasted Vegetables Salad With Quinoa. They’re all fantastic picks to elevate your lunch game!
In your search for anti-inflammatory soups, I am thrilled to share that this carrot ginger soup is a standout choice. As I gear up for the final episode of “Shahzadi’s Fall Five Faves” Series on The Morning Show Canada, this soup will be the star recipe — embodying both comfort and nutrition.
Discover the wonders of the best carrot ginger soup recipe—every single sip is a treasure trove of health-promoting ingredients.
- Beta-carotene Boost: Imagine sweet potatoes and carrots teaming up as your dynamic duo for vision and immune health. Loaded with beta-carotene, they’re your body’s loyal allies.
- Ginger’s Magic: Ginger brings more than just zing! It’s a behind-the-scenes inflammation warrior, helping to fight inflammation in the body — a cornerstone of many chronic conditions like type 2 diabetes, heart disease and some types of cancers.
- Plant-based Fats: The fats from coconut milk and coconut oil play a key role in helping the body absorb fat-soluble vitamins like vitamins A and E found abundantly in carrots and sweet potatoes.
Ingredients you’ll need
Prepare your kitchen for a flavorful adventure!
- Coconut oil
- Minced garlic
- Diced onion
- Dried red chillies
- Sweet potato
- Chopped carrot
- Ginger slices
- Curry powder
- Vegetable stock
- Coconut milk
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Zest and juice of lime
- Sea salt
How to make it
Crafting this carrot ginger soup is a breeze—follow this step-by-step visual guide for an easy culinary journey.
For a complete list of ingredient measurements and detailed step-by-step instructions, you can find everything you need in the printable recipe card located at the bottom of this post.
My go-to hand immersion blender
Unlock culinary possibilities effortlessly! The Cuisinart Hand Immersion Blender empowers you to mix, puree, and emulsify anything a regular blender can—picture velvety soups, vibrant smoothies, custom aiolis, aromatic pestos, wholesome baby food, and beyond.
This soup’s combination of sweet potatoes, carrots, and ginger offers a powerful blend of antioxidants, fibre, and anti-inflammatory properties. Consuming these ingredients regularly can support your body’s immune system, aid digestion, and promote blood sugar control and overall gut health.
To craft a variety of creamy vegan soups and infuse diverse flavours, explore the option of substituting sweet potatoes with butternut squash or pumpkin for a slightly different taste profile. Both offer a naturally sweet element to the soup, maintaining its creamy texture and nutritional benefits while introducing a nuanced twist to the overall flavour profile.
Commonly ask question (You asked:)
How do you balance sweetness in carrot soup?
Balancing sweetness in carrot soup involves several methods.
- Contrasting Flavors: Incorporate ingredients with contrasting tastes such as citrus juice (lemon or lime) for acidity, spices for a touch of heat, or savoury elements like onions, garlic, or herbs such as cilantro, thyme or rosemary to counteract the sweetness of carrots.
- Salt for Balance: Adding salt can help balance and enhance the overall flavour profile, ensuring the soup doesn’t taste overly sweet.
Food safe storage
This coconut carrot curry soup is a fridge-friendly champ, holding up well for about 3 days. Just pop it into an airtight container, and when you’re ready for a cozy meal round two — gently warm it up on the stove. If it’s thicker than you fancy, add a splash of water or stock to get that perfect consistency.
If you give this ginger carrot soup with coconut milk a go, I’d love to hear about your experience! Drop a rating, share a comment, and if you’re on Instagram, snap a pic and tag me @DesilicousRD. Your creations truly bring a smile to my day!
This Wholesome Meal Plan is 100% animal product free and VEGAN. You will learn how to maximize your intake of healthy whole grains, a rainbow of vegetables, fruits and legumes – all while minimizing refined sugars and oils. Say hello to a nutrient-packed and delicious eating plan to support your healthy lifestyle and commitment to our planet’s health.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, extra virgin, cold-pressed, organic
- 2 tsp garlic, freshly crushed
- 2 tsp ginger, fresh, finely chopped
- 1 onion, medium, finely chopped
- 2 dried red chillies, large
- 1 sweet potato, large, peeled, diced into small chunks, 450 g
- 2 carrots, medium, peeled, diced into medium pieces, 170 g
- 2 tsp curry powder, homemade is best
- 3 cups vegetable stock, no added salt
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ½ cup cilantro, leaves and stems, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice
- ½ tsp lime zest
- 1¼ tsp salt, sea salt
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, plain
- 3 inch ginger, fresh, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- Heat coconut oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Sauté onion, garlic, ginger and chillies for about 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add chopped sweet potatoes, carrots, and curry powder. Stir to coat the vegetables.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Stir in the coconut milk, cilantro, salt, lime juice and zest letting the flavours meld together over low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer into bowls and garnish with thin strips of fresh ginger, pumpkin seeds and chilli flakes.
Food safe storage
- This coconut carrot curry soup is a fridge-friendly champ, holding up well for about 3 days. Just pop it into an airtight container, and when you’re ready for a cozy meal round two — gently warm it up on the stove. If it’s thicker than you fancy, add a splash of water or stock to get that perfect consistency.
- To craft a variety of creamy vegan soups and infuse diverse flavours, explore the option of substituting sweet potatoes with butternut squash or pumpkin for a slightly different taste profile. Both offer a naturally sweet element to the soup, maintaining its creamy texture and nutritional benefits while introducing a nuanced twist to the overall flavour profile.
Keep in mind that the nutritional values provided are approximations and suggestions, and might fluctuate depending on ingredient variations, portion sizes, and recipe adjustments. This nutrition facts table cannot account for your individual needs. Your body — including your hunger and satiety cues — change daily. It’s perfectly fine to eat more or less on different days. Instead of letting food guilt take over, consider mindful eating.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.