What could be a better dish for your holiday menu, than this easy and healthy roasted Brussels sprouts recipe with sweet potatoes and dried cranberries – full of flavour and natural sweetness! If you’re not a Brussels sprouts fan, this desilicious recipe will change your mind!
With the holiday season around the corner (here before we knew it!), we’re kicking things off with this gluten-free and mouthwatering roasted Brussels sprouts recipe. An easy, seven-ingredient recipe that tastes like WHOA – minus the sweat. And of course, it’s healthy because of all the wholesome goodness.
Why We Love This Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
I’ve got to say; this is our go-to easy and healthy recipe when it comes to holiday sides. It packs in nutrition and heaps of favour and is desilicious! What’s more, this roasted Brussels sprouts recipe happens to tick off a lot of boxes too:
- and paleo
What Are The Health Benefits Of Sweet Potato?
Ok, so here’s the deal folks, if you’ve never been a fan of Brussels sprouts, this easy recipe is worth a try. I find that roasting sprouts, alongside other sweeter vegetables, does the trick. And there’s no better vegetable to accompany Brussels sprouts than the humble sweet potato.
Plus, you’re also getting heaps more nutritional value by adding sweet potatoes.
According to the American Sweet Potato Organization, a medium sweet potato has:
- over four times the recommended daily amount of Vitamin A
- 37 percent of your daily value of Vitamin C
- 4 grams of fibre – often more than a packet of oatmeal
- 0 fat
- is low in sodium (40 mg)
How To Make This Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe With Sweet Potatoes – Step By Step
Start by washing and trimming the sprouts and peeling and dicing the potatoes. I halve my sprouts, so they cook faster, and I love their roasted, golden edges. Nevertheless, they’ll taste just as delicious if kept whole!
I begin with a large baking tray (you could use a casserole dish too) and place the vegetables. Then it’s a simple matter of drizzling with extra virgin olive oil (photos 1-2) and sprinkling with salt and pepper (photos 3-4). The bonus flavour boost comes from fresh thyme (photo 6).
I like to use my hands to dig in and give the veggies a good toss to thoroughly coat them (photo 5). The Brussels Sprouts are then sent in the oven to roast for 20-25 minutes or until tender with a lovely golden colour (photo 7). The last step is to go in with your *star* ingredient – dried cranberries (photo 8). These give this dish the WOW factor, add a tart and chewy texture, and of course – provide a festive flair.
I love the fact that this is a one-pan dish, making the cleanup hassle-free, perfect for holiday gatherings, right?! Now I warn you; you’ll be eating these roasted Brussels sprouts – right out of the pan!
Top Tips For Making Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Sweet Potatoes
- Use small fresh Brussels sprouts as these are typically sweeter
- After washing the Brussels sprouts, dry them thoroughly with a paper towel. This will prevent sogginess
- Discard any outer leaves that may be discoloured or wilted
- Use a large pan and spread out the vegetables, so they roast evenly instead of overcrowding them. This too will prevent soggy veggies
- Give them a flip halfway through so you get a nice gold coating all over
- Feel free to swap out the thyme for other herbs and spices
Here Are More Sides You May Enjoy:
Are you a Brussels sprouts fan? What’s your favourite way to eat them? Let me what side is gracing your menu this holiday season?
If you try this recipe, would love to hear from you! Leave a comment, rate it, or share a photo and hashtag with #desiliciousrd on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Can’t wait to see your photos.
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to my newsletter for free recipes, nutrition tips and all the latest updates.
Easy Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe With Sweet Potatoes | Desi-licious RD
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts washed, trimmed
- 1 sweet potato large, diced in small cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 5 thyme fresh sprigs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Spread Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes in large baking tray
- Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and lay sprigs of thyme on top
- Roast for 20-25 minutes until tender
- Transfer to a large serving tray and stir in dried cranberries