Ready to make meal planning a breeze? Try this simple and mouthwatering 20-minute okra recipe (Bhindi). An all-time favourite Indian and Pakistani dish, this recipe is bursting with nutrition and flavor. If you’re tired of eating the same ‘ol veggies, this has your name written all over it!
This lip-smacking Indian/Pakistani okra dish is the perfect accompaniment to all kinds of meals. In fact, it’s a meal in itself, that pairs perfectly with roti, paratha, rice or daal. My new food crush? Quinoa – it’s a match made in heaven with a dollop of my herb and avocado chutney.
This okra recipe is cooked in a simple medley of fresh tomato and onion with paprika, cumin, lemon and cilantro – this one will make your taste buds dance. The hot kick from the green chilli is, of course, optional.
Ok, for starters, I’d love to hear what your favourite side dish is. Share with me in the comments below or send me an email. Even better, why not just talk food?! I’d love to hear what you’d like to see on the site. What’s your all-time favourite recipe? Is there any food you can’t live without? As you can see, food is my favourite topic 🙂
Lets get back to this desi~licous okra dish, aka Bhindi…
Here are my top tips to make the best bhindi dish.
For more delicious dishes try;
- Easy Restaurant Style Baingan Bharta (Roasted Eggplant)
- Spicy Lauki (Opo Squash) Soup
- Slow Cooker Black Eyed Beans Curry (Lobia)
- Mixed Grilled Vegetables
When was the last time you tried something new?
What are your favourite go-to side dishes?
So, kuch kuch hota hai? If you try this okra recipe, would love to hear from you! Leave a comment, rate it, or share a photo and hashtag with #desiliciousrd on Instagram, Facebook and twitter! Can’t wait to see your photos.
Okra Recipe (Bhindi) | Vegan, One Pan Indian Dish
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 onion medium, thinly sliced
- 340 g okra frozen, pre-cut
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 chili green, washed, finely chopped
- 1 tomato medium, washed, diced in medium cubes
- 2 tbsp lemon juice of fresh lemon
- 1/2 cup cilantro fresh, washed, finely chopped
- In medium pan, heat oil and fry onions until lightly golden.
- Saute okra on high heat for 5 to 7 mins. Stir often to prevent burning.
- Reduce heat and add dry spices, chilli and tomato. Stir well to coat okra.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, pour lemon juice over okra and garnish with cilantro. Enjoy hot.